Both Instructors and Students can share files on the Drawing Board in the Online Classroom.
Users: This article is for Instructors and Students
Prerequisites: Instructor has entered the online classroom | Student has entered the online classroom
Notes on sharing files:Files can only be shared to the drawing board (not the text board). Make sure that you have selected the drawing board by clicking the protractor icon to the left of your video screen. In the image below, the cursor is resting on the drawing board icon.
The drawing board supports the following file formats - JPEG, PNG, SVG, and PDFs.
Other file formats can be uploaded to the classroom when you are in a session but cannot be displayed on the drawing board. Word documents and excel files can be shared in the "Classroom Files" section. Click on the file to download the document. Once downloaded, the file can be opened and viewed on your device outside of the online classroom space.
Read the step-by-step instructions outlined below:
1. In the online classroom, switch from the "Chat" tab to the "Files" tab.
Click the blue "Upload File" button located at the bottom of the window.
2. Next, you'll get a pop-up prompting you to add a file. It's as simple as clicking and dragging a file from your computer or click “Browse” to search and select a file from your device.
Once your file has been selected you’ll need to click “Upload 1 file” to add it to your portfolio.
Note: You can upload more than one file at a time.
To finish up, you’ll get confirmation that your upload has been completed.
Click the "X" in the top right corner to get back to the online classroom.
3. You're almost done! The new file is in both the “Classroom Files” and "My Files" sections of the "Files" tab.
Click, drag, and drop the file directly to the drawing board to share in the collaborative space and get to work.
Note: You cannot delete any files while in the Online Classroom. You can only edit or delete these files from your portfolio. All files shared in the Online Session are automatically saved to the user's portfolio (My Files Section) and automatically added to the Session Portfolio (Classroom Files Section)
Did you know that you can upload files to your portfolio from your dashboard? The files you add to your personal portfolio are available in the "My Files" section of the files tab during all sessions. Click here to learn how to upload files to your personal portfolio.
Additional Functionality To Help You Share Files
How to download a file to your device:
To download a file that has been shared by a user in the online classroom, click the title of the file in blue text within the Classroom Files section under the Files tab. (Image shown below).
Add a file to the "Classroom Files" section without sharing it to the drawing board
Three ways to add a file to the “Classroom Files” section in the online classroom.
- Click on the Files tab and then click the “Upload File” button located at the bottom of the window. (This process is outlined above)
- From the “My Files” section, share an existing file onto the whiteboard by dragging and dropping the file to the drawing board. This will automatically share the file from your personal portfolio to the session portfolio.
- Add a file directly to the “Classroom Files” from your personal portfolio by clicking the add icon located next to the file name.
This will share the file without uploading it to the drawing board.
Remove a file from the “Classroom Files” section
To remove a file from the “Classroom Files” section, use the remove icon located next to the file name.
Note: You will only be able to add and/or remove files that are part of your personal portfolio (My Files Section)
How to upload multiple pages of a PDF document:
To share multiple pages from a single PDF to the drawing board, follow these steps:
- Drag and drop the PDF file on the drawing board.
- When the PDF is dragged and dropped onto the drawing board, a pop-up window will appear. (image shown below)
- Type in the page number from the PDF that you wish to share on the drawing board
- Click insert and your page is now ready for collaboration!
- To share an additional page from the same PDF, repeat steps 1 to 4.
Note: Each time an individual page is shared to the drawing board, the classroom creates a new file to help mark the page number.
Try it out. You got this!
If you have any questions about uploading files, we're here to help.
Click on the teal chat bubble, located in the bottom right corner of your profile dashboard, for assistance.
Need more information? Check out the following related articles: