No video and/or audio? This guide will help you troubleshoot video and audio issues in the online classroom.
Users: This article is for all users
Follow the step-by-step instructions outlined below:
Troubleshooting: First Steps
- Make sure you are not using a smartphone. The online classroom experience is inconsistent across smartphone devices. Phones can be used as a backup if no other device is available. We are working continuously to improve the experience on mobile devices.
- Double-check to make sure that your volume is turned up on your computer or tablet.
- Double-check to make sure that your built-in camera or outside webcam is connected and selected for use with your device.
- The online classroom only works in Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If one web browser is not working, try another. Use the link below if you are not sure what browser you are using. What is my browser? For the best experience, we recommend the latest version of Chrome.
- While in the online classroom, try refreshing the page by clicking the icon shown below. Clicking refresh will kick you back to the online waiting room where you can retest your technology. In the drop-down menu in the "Mic" and "Video" sections, please make sure that your desired devices are selected for use.
6. The online classroom provides feedback about the network connection while you are in session. Check the Network Quality Indicator located in the top corner of your video box. The indicator will fluctuate between the colors green, yellow, and red depending on the strength of your connection. If the indicator is red, it can cause freezing, lagging, or other quality inconsistencies in the online classroom.
7. Important Note: If the screen is completely blank for both the student and the instructor and neither person can see themselves or the other participant, this means that the session has "timed-out." A timed-out session means that there was a prolonged period of inactivity with no users present in the online classroom. If the session is started and then both users leave the classroom for a period of more than 5 minutes, the video and audio will shut off for the session.
In this instance, the ONLY solution is to schedule another session. This can be accomplished from the instructor's dashboard. Click “Instant Session” and invite the student to meet you in the online classroom.
Troubleshooting: Next Steps
- Make sure that you have allowed the website permission to use your camera and microphone. You should receive pop-ups asking you to allow access to both.
You can also double-check the settings by clicking on the lock icon in your web address bar. The photo below shows how it will look in Chrome.
If you need additional help with giving your web browser permission to access your camera and microphone, see the link below corresponding to the browser you are using.
2. If you haven't already, try switching web browsers.
Open a new window using a different browser (Chrome, Firefox, or Safari) and log in to your account.
Important Note: Issues have been reported when using Safari version 13.1. If you experience video/audio issues while using Safari, try updating your settings. Click the link below for help managing your setting.
Safari User Guide
If you are still experiencing issues after updating your settings, please switch web browsers. We recommend using Chrome.
3. Check your internet connection, especially if you’re accessing the platform from a different location/network than usual. Make sure that the network has sufficient bandwidth to support live streaming and that the network does not have restrictions set for streaming video.
To run a test, FOLLOW THIS LINK.
Your test results should look like the image below.
All green = good to go!
If you've made it this far, bear with us. We got this!
Troubleshooting: Final Steps
1. Restart your computer or tablet. If you have another device available, consider switching to that one.
2. If it has been a while since your last browser update, try updating your web browser to the most recent version available. Below, we've added links to help guide you through the process. Chrome Update
3. If all else fails, it may be time to update your operating system. Try updating and restarting your device.
4. If you need help while in the online classroom, click on the Classroom Support icon in the bottom left corner of your browser.
Here you have access to support articles, support chat, and tech reporting.
5. If you've managed to get either your video or audio working, try running your session.
- With video but no audio, use the chatbox to communicate.
- With audio but no video, chat it up! You may not be able to see each other but you can still ask questions.
If you still cannot see or hear the other person or you prefer both the video and the audio for your session, try finding a day and time to reschedule.
Once you've communicated with your student or instructor, please reach out to Trilogy through the support chat or via email email@example.com. We'll schedule a time to meet with you in the online classroom and work together to fix the issue.
We'll get you up and running in no time!
Need more info? Check out related articles below: